Sunday, February 22, 2009

The home stretch...




Yay! Only 1 and a 1/2 weeks to go until I am done with my first placement!  The past couple weeks have been very full...at school all day, come home write lesson plans all night, go to bed, repeat the next day.  The weekends aren't much better.  Saturdays we have drama/music rehearsals with the church for the Easter musical.  I leave my house at 11AM and don't get back til 6PM and by then I am tired and don't feel like doing more work.  Sigh.  I knew this was going to be hard when I decided to do this whole student teaching but the gravity of this has definitely sunk in.  At least when I am all done, I will have my certification "just in case." 

I met the teacher for my next placement (which will be at a public elementary school, starting March 11) this week.  I am really excited to get to work with this woman, she has been teaching for over 22 years and has quite the reputation at the school for teaching the kids how to read rhythms and melodies in elementary school!  

As far as my impressions of the school I am still currently in, I am really enjoying the middle school but the high school leaves much to be desired.  They are kind of a rowdy bunch and do not respond as quickly to behavior management techniques that work so easily with the middle school.  I have found quite a few of the high school students rude and disrespectful and it has been a challenge coming into such a culture.  It's funny because I thought that the high school would be the easiest for me since I have more experience with that age group working with the choir at my church but they have proved to be the most difficult.  When I asked other teachers at the school whether they are experiencing the same things, they all seemed to voice the same concerns that I have.  Unfortunately, I probably am having a harder time because the high school students see me as an inexperienced student teacher. 

Despite the business, my belly continues to grow...it is just such an amazing process.  On March 5th, we find out if the baby is a boy or girl!  So exciting!  Tom and I have been working away at the "baby" room.  So far, everything has been cleaned out of there but no decorating yet until we know the sex of the baby.  

3 comments:

Christy said...

Is that at the christian school you are talking about? That's a shame that you can't expect much better there. It figures though.

Katy said...

You'll have to take another belly picture soon;) Sorry I didn't get to talk to you last week. Hope you make it through the next week and a half ok.

He and She said...

yes, it is the Christian school, it certainly makes me never want to work in a Christian school.