Surgery is officially in the past! So now that I am home and the pain is subsiding, I wanted to give you all a rundown of what happened yesterday...
Woke up at 5:30AM, before my alarm, feeling a little anxious. Prayed, then laid in bed until Kira got up. Wanted to make myself some coffee and fix breakfast but resisted as per doctors orders of not eating or drinking anything after 12 midnight the night before.
9AM Made a quick run to the the grocery store
11:00AM Tom called to inform me he was on his way home (earlier than I expected!). My Mother-in law arrived shortly after at 11:30 to drive me over to the surgery center.
12 noon Arrived at surgery center, signed a bunch of papers and waited to be called back. At 12:30 I got called into the back and they took a urine sample (to make sure I wasn't pregnant), then took basic measurements. I got my blood pressure checked, pulse rate which was about 56 resting rate (I was surprised by this one!), then I had to change into the lovely hospital gown, socks with grips on the bottom and hairnet. Then the nurse let me know she would be putting in the IV. She had to hit my hand quite a few times to get the veins to pop up since I was so dehydrated. The next part was pretty painful b/c the one vein on my hand isn't perfectly straight, she had to push the needle in and then follow the vein. The had the blood pressure cuff on me and I could see my blood pressure shoot up to 148/? which is high for me. Once she taped it down though I could breathe easier.
1PM They were ready for me! My original surgery time was 2pm but they processed me quickly and everyone was there and ready so they took me earlier than I expected. I walked down the long hall, with one of the nurses holding my IV bag, then peed one last time so I could forgo having a catheter and walked into the surgery room. I laid down on the table and one of the last thing I remember was someone grabbing my right arm to put the blood pressure cuff on, my left arm had the IV and my right and left legs were being strapped into stirrups. I felt scared but one of the first drugs I got when I laid on the table was a tranquilizer so I soon faded and didn't remember anything else.
4:20PM woke up groggy. I was under anesthesia for around about 2 1/2 hours, a long time but the Doctor working on me was supposedly very particular and careful. Knowing my history, He did not try to rush through the procedure but took his time. There was also a second doctor working with him who performed the laproscopy so I have two puncture wounds through my belly button and also on my bikini line. The laproscopy was an extra precaution on their part so as not to damage anything and it allowed another angle through which to see the operation. There was also a camera they fished inside the uterus. This camera allowed the Doctor to see the scars clearly and only cut them away while leaving the healthy tissue untouched. Once the doctor cut off the scar tissue covering the cervix, he carefully worked to rid my uterus of all the built up lining that hadn't been able to escape. While he was moving the camera around he saw a small spot of endometriosis in my uterus but he let Tom know that wouldn't affect my fertility since it wasn't covering my fallopian tubes. Finally they also performed another dye test to make sure my tubes and uterus were open as well as an ultrasound.
I got out of there and my MIL starting driving me home, I had about 3 sips of coffee and promptly threw up. But I felt so much better once I threw up so I was thankful for that actually.
As far as pain goes, I have none except for my belly which is sore and tender from the laproscopy since they punched through muscle and also filled it with gas to get a better view of the uterus. Another nice thing is the Doctor decided not to insert the pediatric catheter into my uterus because it wasn't sitting right. The catheter was supposed to be inserted to prevent the walls of my ueterus from scabbing and collapsing back onto each other but he decided ultimately not to do it b/c it wasn't sitting right. Hopefully it was the right decision, I wouldn't want to go through another surgery b/c it didn't heal right but he is the expert so I will trust him. I will be meeting with him for a followup in two weeks. So I am just taking Estrogen to help the lining of the uterus build back up and an antibiotic to ward off infection.
Tom is home with me today, helping with Kira as I am supposed to take it easy for about 2 weeks. I can't pick Kira up for a little while and I can't workout for two weeks. Once I meet with the doctor I will hopefully get more details on how the surgery went. I will keep you posted! Thank you for your prayers and concern!
2 comments:
Thanks for the update Dawn! I've been wondering how it went and how you are doing. I'm glad everything went smoothly. Let me know if you need anything! <3
It was good to hear from you again. Actually I had given up on checking your blog because it wasn't changed for so long. Your Mom told me about it. so I ended up reading 3 or 4 of them. I wish I could see you more- you seem so far away! I haven't blogged either. I do FB- that's quicker.
Post a Comment