Thursday, May 27, 2010

Getting there...

No, we did not fall off the face of the earth...we have just been busy seemingly every single moment of every day! :) We are making progress on the house though and it is exciting to see it coming together! Since making settlement last Tuesday, we have worked on the house almost every night until 10 or 11PM! Poor Tom, he is walking around exhausted and ready for the work to be finished I think. We are very blessed to have family helping us fix up the house, it would be pretty discouraging working on this by ourselves since there really is so much to do and we want to get as much done BEFORE we move in.

Here's what we've done so far...
Tuesday, May 18-Settlement...Tom changed the locks and moved in the gas dryer
Wed.-Tom starts ripping up the carpets in all the rooms!
Thursday-Tom decides to rip up beat up Pergo in kitchen b/c he smells something "funny" in there...
Friday-Tom discovers water stains/damage and extensive mold on the plywood below the pergo and now decides it is necessary to remove all the cabinets and rip up the plywood to get rid of the mold.
Sat-we had a wedding to go to and a bar-b-que later that day so we didn't get to the house this day...
Sunday-Tom, Jim and Dad work on removing the base cabinets, digging 6 foot ditch to fix the plumbing and ripping the T-1-11 off the closets so they can be sheetrocked. While removing the base cabinets, 2 of them essentially fell apart and we discovered mold growing up the back of these cabinets and on the sheetrock in the kitchen as well. So at this point, the decision was made to gut the kitchen to eliminate the mold damage. I also walk through the house with my friend Sherri and picked my paint colors for each room with her help...
Monday-I went to Avalon with my Mom to pick out the tile for the kitchen and bathroom. Found some beautiful tile and also picked out the carpet for the two upstairs bedrooms as well.
Tuesday- I drove over to my parents house at 11AM this day and ate lunch with them...then my Dad went over to the house and started working on the kitchen. I came over as soon as I put Kira down for a nap to help him lay the new plywood flooring and backerboard for the tile work. My Mom babysat Kira for the afternoon so I could help Dad. When Kira woke up, she brought her over to our house and we went to Home Depot and got some gardening essentials. I don't think I will be able to do any gardening until after we move in though...there is still so much work to be done on the house....Tuesday night, Tom was burned out and exhausted so I told him he should just get away and he went surfing for a couple hours and felt refreshed.
Wednesday (last night)- I mowed the lawn for the first time (not bad, took me about 45 min to do the whole lawn!) and worked on "shopvac-ing" the whole bottom floor while Tom and Jim worked on fixing a hump in the kitchen floor and punching out the last of the moldy sheetrock in the kitchen.

Tonight the plan is to work again on the house but then I think Tom may take a break for Friday and Saturday...he is seriously killing himself working all day and then going straight to the house to work more at night and he needs to rest for a few days. We have the majority of the demolition done though so now things are really going to improve soon...

Here is the kitchen before we pulled the plywood up...
Here is the kitchen pretty much gutted now...I need to take more pics tonight when I go back b/c now the new plywood and backerboard is down and it already looks different!

There are two bedrooms next to eachother on the top floor...this one will be Kira's room since it is the smaller of the two...we had to move the stove and dishwasher in there for the time being while we work on the kitchen! ;)

A view of the living room.....

The yucky bathroom...you can see where I started pulling up the sticky tile, but I need the men to remove the cabinet and toilet to get the rest of it up!

Another view of the bathroom...we decided while we are at it, we might as well redo the bathroom along with the kitchen, then the whole top floor will be done and we will do the bottom floor when we get more saved up.

And here's a view of the master bedroom. I wish I had gotten pics of it BEFORE Tom pulled the carpet up...b/c it already looks so much better without the ratty carpet!

One more view of our bedroom...there is no center light, just this lamp that you basically almost hit your head on when you walk in the door so Jim is going to rewire it so there is a center ceiling fan and light in our room (an easy job for an electrician, or so he says!).

This is the view from the kitchen, there is a deck out the back which will be nice for bar-b-ques in the summer!
Well, I just realized I haven't taken any pics of the bottom floor so I need to remember to do that tonight when I go to the house!

3 comments:

Katy said...

Nice Dawn! It looks like you guys are making great progress! Are you going to be able to use the floors that were under the carpet? You can't really tell from the picture but they looked pretty good.

He and She said...

I think we finally decided what we are going to do...we will carpet the two upstairs bedrooms and have the floor in the living room and hallway refinished since that one looks the best out of all the floors...Kira's floor was the worst...huge globs of paint stains all over the floor, but the living looks like it can be saved...

Katy said...

That'll be nice- I like carpet in the bedrooms but it's just easier to have a hard surface in high traffic areas.