Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Coupon Lesson #2

Wow, I have been having fun couponing lately! It is neat to read about all the deals out there. The icing on the cake is going to checkout and seeing your bill get lower and lower. This week, there is a deal at Target on diapers...buy 3 packs of huggies or pampers (jumbo size or larger) and get a $5 Target gift card! Well, Huggies and Pampers are on sale this week at Target, which means, now is the time to buy them! PLUS, Target had a $1.50 off huggies "store coupon" which you can stack with manufacturer huggies coupons! I had 3 manufacturer coupons for $1 off each pack so I shaved an add'l $2.50 off each pack of diapers! AND I got a $5 gift card! YES!!! I shaved almost $30 off my bill at Target this way. I also went to shoprite to stock up on Crest toothpaste (on sale plus I had coupons), coffee, cereal, etc. My bill before coupons and sales? $32.76. After all the coupons and sales? $12.36

There were also some good deals at Redners...one of them was buy 10 pillsbury items for $10 (of course, you don't have to buy 10 to get them for a dollar each). Now, I don't normally buy pillsbury items but we were hosting a dessert night at our house last night and I needed a number of desserts. So this was a good option since I also had coupons for pillsbury as well.

But I definitely learned a lesson this week though...watch the cashier like a hawk! The one I had at Redners yesterday tried to steal my catalina! Redners was running a deal on the pillsbury 10 for $10 plus I had coupons so I could get cinnamon rolls for FREE. Not to mention, if you bought 4 pillsbury products you got $2 off your next order (that's called a moneymaker folks)...so I went back yesterday and bought more, plus add'l groceries and used my coupons in addition to the $3 off coupon I got from Redner's the other day. While I was signing the keypad for my credit card, I saw the register print out my receipt and $2 off next order catalina. I saw the cashier (she probably thought I was distracted with signing my name) take my receipt and put the $2 off coupon on top of her register! Then she stood there with my receipt in hand, hoping I wouldn't notice that I was missing that high value FREE MONEY coupon! Well, I called her out on it, but acted like I didn't know she did it on purpose. She made up some lame excuse but I knew what she did. I left the store wondering how many people get scammed by cashiers b/c they don't know they can sometimes get more than just a receipt for their transactions if they buy promotional items. But it wasn't all bad... I walked out of there with $17 worth of groceries having paid only $1.87! And the $1.87 I paid is going to be reimbursed by the school b/c it was for our dessert night so I got groceries for free! Whahahaha!

Tom has been on my case for a while now, insisting that I need to have a hobby. I always thought singing was my hobby but this coupon thing may be my new one. It is so fun. Tonight I will be meeting with a friend of a friend to learn the "couponing" ways (HAHA!). This woman is a master...she has been doing coupons for a loooong time so I am excited to talk with her tonight and get some more tips and tricks.

7 comments:

Christy said...

The one reason I don't bother with coupons is because I can get store brands for cheaper than name brands even with coupons. Wal-Mart brand diapers are way cheaper than pampers and work just as well. Any thoughts on that? I know people seem to save a lot with coupons but I am just not sure how it compares with buying store brands or even buying at cost-co or Sam's Club.

He and She said...

Usually store brands are cheaper...unless you have double coupons (manufacturer and store), the name brand is on a rock bottom sale and you get a promotional gift card! I would say know how much you are paying for each diaper...I got mine for 13 cents per diaper which is pretty good. Betty found a deal on pampers at rite aid last week and got 890 pampers for 7 cents a diaper! check her older posts to see this...

He and She said...

I meant to say check betty's older posts on fb by the way...

Nancy Yoder said...

I have often thought it can't be that people save that much with coupons. The problem is - I don't use diapers, or packaged cake mixes. I am a "from scratch" lady. I do admire you for saving any way you can. But then with just me, I don't have large grocery bills any way. Love ya. Grandma

Katy said...

I think "couponing" is a perfect hobby for you ;) I agree with Christy about the offbrand stuff though. Usually when i take coupons with me to the store I find that the store brand is still cheaper. But I see how you could make it work with a little extra work. Christy aid, "Wal-mart brand diapers are way cheaper and work just as well" ! gasp! :D

Christy said...

Wal-Mart cr*p is perfect for holding cr*p. :)

Katy said...

That's awesome! :D